Alrighty, well, Brandon and I have decided to do a Whole30 for the month of August. If you aren’t sure what the Whole30 is, you can check it out here. In a nutshell it’s 30 days of eating whole foods like meat, vegetables, fruit, and a few nuts and so on. No artificial anything, no sugar, no dairy, no legumes, no alcohol, no cream in my coffee.
We are currently 10 days in and here are my (probably jumbled) thoughts.
1. There are things I definitely miss. Toast. Coffee Creamer. (I switched to tea for the month cause I just can’t quite stomach black coffee, maybe someday.) Ketchup. Diet Coke. It’s funny because these are all things that I actually didn’t use that much of before this month (except the coffee creamer, obviously.)
2. Turns out I don’t really know how to cook meat that well. Before doing this thing we didn’t eat that much meat around here. I can cook up some mean Taco Tuesday ground beef, but my skills with other meats are lacking. Let’s just say the first week consisted of a lot of dry chicken and pork. yuck. The good news is, I think I am improving! We’ve had a few meals in the last few days that actually came out well and tasted good so there ya go.
3. We eat A LOT of veggies. I go to the grocery store, by a huge load of veggies in every variety and 3 days later (no joke) we are out and I need to go again. All that to say, we are probably spending more money this month than usual, but we aren’t eating out so that will save us some moolah.
4. Fruit tastes insanely good when you aren’t eating other types of sugar. I ate some pineapple that tasted so sweet it made my eyes water.
5. How do I feel so far? Hmmm. Well it’s hard to say yet if I feel much different. Considering I have a baby who still wakes up several times a night, had a root canal this week, and a runny nose and sore throat that has lasted for a few weeks now, I can’t say that I feel awesome. 😉 But I can tell that I’ve lost a little weight, and I have bit more energy in the afternoons at the time when I usually want to crash on the couch. Even Brandon has started to give up his afternoon cup of coffee.
Here are a few tips that helped me through our first 10 days that others gave me that I want to pass along in case you are thinking of doing your own….
1. keep your meals simple. You don’t need fancy pinterest whole30 recipes at every meal to start of with. Some meat, a bunch of veggies, and a sweet potato or avocado will do you just fine.
2. Target has whole30 compliant sausages and hotdogs and mini guacamoles. Trader Joes has frozen burgers that are compliant too. These are all things that can be cooked up super fast for lunches or when the day gets away from you and you need a quick dinner.
3. Stock up and prepare ahead of time. I try to cut veggies and cook meat enough to last us several meals because it’s a lot of leg work to cook all that stuff at every meal.
So there’s that, hopefully I’ll be back in 10 days to give you another recap.